Even before I found Lovecraft and Stephen King and my world turned, I was raised on Doyle, Wells, Hodgson and Robert Louis Stevenson which gave me both a love of the "gentleman detective" era and a deep love of the late Victorian / early Edwardian historical period in general.
I've written numerous stories set in the era, for Sherlock Holmes, Carnacki, and Professor Challenger and I can see me settling in there for a long time to come.
And above all else, I keep coming back to Carnacki. The ghosthunter resonated with me immediately on my first reading many years ago. Several of the stories have a Lovecraftian viewpoint, with cosmic entities that have no regard for the doings of mankind. The background Hodgson proposes fits with some of my own viewpoint on the ways the Universe might function, and the slightly formal Edwardian language seems to be a "voice" I fall into naturally.
I write them because of love, pure and simple.
You may notice while reading that Carnacki likes a drink and a smoke, and a hearty meal with his friends gathered round. This dovetails perfectly with my own idea of a good time. And although I no longer smoke, writing about characters who do allows me a small vicarious reminder of my own younger days. I wish I had Carnacki's library, his toys, but most of all, I envy him his regular visits from his tight group of friends, all more than willing to listen to his tales of adventure into the weird places of the world while drinking his Scotch and smoking his cigarettes.
There seems to be quite a burgeoning market for this kind of mixing of detection and supernatural, and I intend writing more... maybe even a lot more. I've sold a new CARNACKI collection to Lovecraft Ezine's fiction imprint, and I have a new collection of Victorian Supernatural stories coming fro Crystal Lake Publishing. Watch this space, and see the list below for details of what I've done so far.
- Carnacki: Heaven and Hell ( Collection / Dark Regions Press)
- Carnacki: The Watcher at the Gate (collection / Dark Regions Press )
- Sherlock Holmes: The Quality of Mercy and other stories ( Collection / Dark Regions Press)
- Sherlock Holmes: The London Terrors (3 novella omnibus / Dark Regions Press)
- Sherlock Holmes: Revenant (Novella / Dark Regions Press)
- Professor Challenger: The Kew Growths and Others ( Collection / Dark Regions Press )
- Professor Challenger: The Island of Terror ( Novella / Dark Regions Press )
Short Stories not in any of the above
- Carnacki: The Keys to the Door ( The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper / Little Brown )
- Carnacki: The Grunting Man ( The Lost Cases / Ulthar Press )
- Carnacki: The Lakeside Cottages ( The Children of Gla'aki / Dark Regions Press )
- Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Maltese Catacombs (Sherlock Holmes Abroad / Little Brown)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Flash in the Pan (The Associates of Sherlock Holmes / Titan )
- Got my Mojo Working (with Dave Wilbanks) (Occult Detective Quarterly Issue #1)
- The Nest (Occult Detective Quarterly Issue #1)
- Carnacki: The Edinburgh Townhouse (collection / Lovecraft ezine )
- Sherlock Holmes: A Gentlemanly Wager ( Sherlock Holmes' School for detection / Little Brown )
- Carnacki: The Hound ( Gaslight Ghouls / Chaosium )