Big beasties fascinate me.
Some of that fascination stems from early film viewing. I remember being taken to the cinema to see The Blob. I couldn't have been more than seven or eight, and it scared the crap out of me. The original incarnation of Kong has been with me since around the same time.
Similarly, I remember the BBC showing re-runs of classic creature features late on Friday nights, and THEM! in particular left a mark on my psyche.
I've also got a Biological Sciences degree, and even while watching said movies, I'm usually trying to figure out how the creature would actually work in nature -- what would it eat? How would it procreate? What effect would it have on the environment around it?
On top of that, I have an interest in cryptozoology, of creatures that live just out of sight of humankind, and of the myriad possibilities that nature, and man's dabbling with it, can throw up.
All of this means I can't avoid writing about the beasties, from Giant Crabs in CRUSTACEANS, to Yeti in BERSERKER and ABOMINABLE, man-eating seaweed in THE CREEPING KELP, Native Indian Wendigo in NIGHT OF THE WENDIGO and Giant Ants in GENERATIONS. See the list below for details.
Available in paperback and ebook
For Tor and Skald this is their first viking raid, their minds are full of thoughts of honor and glory. What awaits them are beasts - huge, hairy and fanged, the Alma will not suffer intruders in their domain. When the Vikings slaughter a female Alma they soon find themselves in the middle of a bloody revenge. Now they must stand and be counted, for their destinies await in the mountains, where the hairy ones dance.
AMAZON (PBCK) | AMAZON | AMAZON UK | AMAZON CA
Professor Challenger: The Kew Growths and other Stories
Apemen, mothmen, giant fungi, lake monsters, amoeba from space, wooly mammoths and much more - there's plenty of beasties in my Challenger stories, a collection out now from Dark Renaissance
Dark Renaissance | Bad Moon Books
Nobody knows exactly what happened on the last ascent of Mallory and Irvine in 1924. No details have been passed down to us. The heights of the tallest mountain have kept their secret. -- Until now.
A short story featuring the eponymous Abominable Snowman of legend. My best selling short, over 3000 copies sold
AMAZON | AMAZON UK
Novels / Novellas
- Berserker (novel / Paperback, ebook / Gryphonwood Press)
- Sherlock Holmes: The Hackney Horror ( novella / Paperback / Dark Renaissance)
- The Dunfield Terror (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Darkfuse)
- The Plasm (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Dark Regions Press)
- The Exiled (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Darkfuse)
- The Ravine (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Dark Regions Press)
- The Hole (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Darkfuse)
- Professor Challenger: The Island of Terror (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Dark Regions Press)
- The Creeping Kelp (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Dark Regions Press)
- The Invasion / The Valley (Paperback / Dark Regions Press)
- Crustaceans (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Dark Regions Press)
- The Midnight Eye: The Skin Game (paperback, e-book / Black Death Books)
- Night of the Wendigo (hardcover, paperback, e-book / Darkfuse)
- Island Life (Paperback, e-book / Gryphonwood Press)
- The Invasion (e-book / Gryphonwood Press)
- The Valley (e-book / Gryphonwood Press)
- Generations (Paperback, e-book / FRINGEWORKS)
- Professor Challenger: The Kew Growths (collection / Dark Renaissance)
- Myths and Monsters (collection / Paperback, e-book / KnighWatch)
- The Color that Stole Christmas (Christmas Horrors / Dark Regions Press)
- #dragonspit (Dragons, Droids & Doom book 1 / Fantasy Scroll Press )
- Abominable (e-book / FRINGEWORKS)
- Vulcan's Forge (With Point and Edge / Golden Goblin Press)
- The Dreams that Stuff is made of ( Pun Book of Horror / Knightscape )
- Staying Alive Among the Beasts (Seven Stones Anthology)
- Broadsword ( World War Cthulhu / Dark Regions Press )
- The Dreams that Stuff is Made of (Zombie Kong anthology / BOTD Press)
- The Colour that Came to Chiswick (Gaslight Arcanum anthology / EDGE)
- The Tenants of Ladywell Manor (Cthulhu Unbound 2 anthology / Permuted Press)
- Rickman's Plasma (Creature Feature anthology / Penny Dreadful)
- Hairs and Graces (Best New Werewolf Tales 1 anthology / BOTD PRess)
- Rickman's Plasma (Lovecraft Ezine)
- The Call of the Dance (Lovecraft Ezine)
- Variations on a Theme ( Escapepod )
- In the Coils of the Serpent ( Pseudopod )
- The Kelp (Lamplight Magazine #1 / Lamplight)
- Bait and Switch (Issue #2 / Suddenly Lost in Words)
- Quercus Multiforma (Blue Shift Magazine)
Novels / Novellas / Collections Coming Soon
- Fungoid (novel / DarkFuse)
Short Stories Coming Soon
- The Skin Belt (Best New Werewolf Tales 2 / BOTD Press)
THE CREEPING KELP
When a storm in the North Atlantic frees an experimental sample that has been dormant inside an old wreck, the new creature finds that it is hungry. Our plastics-oriented society has given it an abundant supply of food... more than enough for it to grow, and build, and spread.
Dark Regions (Hcvr) | AMAZON | AMAZON UK
The old stories tell of an evil far beneath the earth. When an archaeological expedition ignores local wisdom and opens an old barrow on a remote island in the Scottish Hebrides, they unleash a horror beyond their darkest nightmares. Will anyone survive the onslaught of the Island Life?
AMAZON | AMAZON UK | AUDIBLE